Featured Post

What is "One Work"?

One Work exists to exalt Christ and equip his people by developing and distributing Bible-saturated resources that help them fulfill their o...

Friday, December 3, 2021

Living by Faith: The Faith of Rahab

Over the last three posts in this series, I’ve summarized Moses’ and Joshua's lives of faith as described in Hebrews 11:23-30 in the form of a “first-person narrative,” that is, I’ve essentially spoken as though I was Moses. Along the way, I’ve taken some creative and interpretive license, but this was not an attempt to add to the words of the Bible, rather, it was an attempt to help us better hear, understand, and believe the Bible. Today I will continue this form of narration by creatively summarizing a crucial moment in Rahab's live of faith as described in Hebrews 11:31, “By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies."

When Joshua finished speaking, he joyfully took his seat and invited his friend Rahab to rise and speak. “Hello, everyone, as Joshua said, my name is Rahab and I just want to speak a few words. When Israel crossed the Jordan by the power of God and under the leadership of Joshua, I heard about what the Lord was about to do in our land and my heart feared him. But it was a strange fear. I did feel in danger and I didn’t want to die, but I also felt in awe of this God who had moved in Egypt and then on the eastern side of Jordan and now in our very midst. Though I find it hard to explain, I can only say that I wanted to know him. Praise be to his name, the Lord saw my heart and he was so kind to me. I don’t mind telling you that at the time I was a prostitute who sold my body for money. I was an object to men and a wretch to myself, but in his loving-kindness the Lord sent his servants to me, I was kind to them, and they spared me.

“Believe it or not, the Lord made me to be the great-great-grandmother of David the King of Israel! Can you believe that? The Lord made me—Rahab the prostitute—to be Rahab the distant grandmother of the Lord Jesus Christ, and this because I simply listened to his speech through his servants, did exactly what I was told to do by faith, and then sat back and watched the Lord move in grace and power. 

"O Beloved, the time will come when I will tell you many more stories, but just before you re-engage in your own battle of faith, I want to say that our God is great and gracious, and that all of his promises are true. All that the Lord says he will surely do, so listen to him, believe him, cling to his words, and live by faith. If you will look to him, he will show himself faithful to you, and one day you will join us, the mighty throng who lives to give glory to him who is steadfast in love and faithful to all his words. Thank you, and glory be to God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment